PGSM Master scholarships in Mathematics
The Fondation Sciences Mathématiques de Paris offers to students, selected through online application process, Masters' scholarships of 1 or 2 years.
The laureates will be able to register into masters in mathematics and theoretical computer science of the FSMP network.
Girls are reminded that they are welcome in scientific careers! Therefore, female students are strongly encouraged to apply to the program.
The laureates benefit from a unique range of courses based on the expertise of the Parisian research laboratories in mathematical sciences.
The Parisian mathematical network is an exceptional community in the word, probably the biggest in terms of mathematical spectrum.
It includes more than 1200 researchers (including 5 Fields medallists, 19 academics, more than 200 national and international prize-winners) who teach, for the most part, in the FSMP network's masters programs, in the best tradition of the internationally recognized French school of mathematics.
Call for application
This programme is open to students wishing to enroll in 1st and/or 2nd year of Master.
Please, be aware that only completed applications will be evaluated.
There are two PGSM Master calls per year. For academic year 2023-2024:
- First call is from the 7th of November 2022 to the 9th of February 2023 (23h59, Paris time): this call is open to students who are carrying out their studies in Universities outside France (a bachelor degree or a first year of master in mathematics or theoretical coputer science). Moreover, they have to be on the condition that their bachelor or their 1st year of a master is awarded before the start of the academic year 2023-24.
- Second call is from the 6th of March 2023 to the 9th of May 2023 (23h59, Paris time): this call is open only to students who are enrolled in a 3rd year of a "licence" or a 1st year of a master in mathematics or theoretical computer science in the FSMP network. Moreover, they have to be on the condition that their 3rd year of a "licence" or a 1st year of a master is awarded before the start of the academic year 2023-24. An applicant currently studying in France but out the FSMP network, may apply in exceptional cases if the Master's specialty he/she is looking for exists in Paris but is not available in his/her current university. Such an application must be carefully justified.
How to apply
Applications are made online: click on button Konkuriši.
Dokuments to be uploaded:
- Curriculum vitae
- Cover letter
- Bachelor school reports (transcript of grades) and certificate (if applicable)
- Master school reports (transcript of grades) and certificate (if applicable)
- Letter(s) of recommendation(s)
Do not forget to mention (step 4 of the application process) the e-mail address of the professors who wish to send recommendation letters. They will receive an automatic email to upload their letter.
Only Complete application will be considered.
Once you have submitted your application, you will receive a confirmation email with a code to keep. You will be able to reconnect to complete your application.
Applicants are invited to submit also any official documents attesting of their achievements (ranking, ranking in national and international competitions, etc.). These elements must be supported by official documents.
The integrity and authenticity of diplomas and letters of recommendation are systematically checked. The jury reserves the right to interview any successful candidate.
Find here the answers to the questions most frequestly asked by the candidates.
Be careful, PGSM scholarships cannot be combined with other financial help or remuneration (apart from joint programs with French embassies or "instituts français"). By way of exception, exceptional permission may be granted by the program leader for activities related to the teaching of mathematics.
The scholarship starts on September 1st.
It is mandatory for PGSM laureates to be in Paris on September 1st to benefit from intensive french courses and to complete the administrative procedures.
The laureates will receive a scholarship of 1100 euros per month maximum : 600€/month + 500 €/month for a housing benefit (upon justification only).
The Fondation Sciences Mathématiques de Paris willl take care also of their social security coverage and their university registration fees.
For foreign students accepted into the International program, the Foundation reserves a room at the CROUS in Paris and reimburses the cost of one return ticket per year from their country of origin to Paris (based on an economy fare only).
Laureates for M2 studies will receive a scholarship for 10 months (+ 2 months if they want to do a doctorate in France).
Laureates for M1 studies will receive a 12-month scolarship. The extension of the scholarship for a second year is subject to the successful completion of the fist year exams and the jury's approval.
Administrative and scientific support
The FSMP provides a personalised support to FSMP fellows and help them integrate into Parisian life. It helps them with administrative procedures such as university registration, visa applications and medical care.
The laureates benefit from scientific support. In particular:
- Scientific tutoring: personalized advice from a teacher-researcher who will be their tutor for the duration of their studies. This tutor will advise them on the choice of courses to follow in the Masters programmes of the different partner universities, according to their previous studies and their training project. Students can contact their tutor throughout their studies, in particular to choose their orientation at the end of the first year and/or to consider continuing their studies at the end of the master's degree.
- Follow-up of academic results: the Fundation and the director of studies regularly check on the scientific progress of PGSM students.
- Non-French speaking students have the possibility to improve their French by following the "French as a foreign language" courses. Tutors may offer non-French speaking students help in English, and direct them to a French as a Foreign Language (FLE) course. Students who do not speak French at all are advised to arrive before the start of the academic year to follow an accelerated course in French.
Selection is made through the excellency of each student's academic records linked to their Bachelor years.
The selection criteria are:
- The level of the application,
- The motivation,
- The coherence of the training project and the adequacy with the teaching offer.
More information and contact
If you need more information, click on this link.
You can contact the Foundation Sciences Mathématiques de Paris at: firstname.lastname@example.org